The Upright Project
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2023
Wanted: We are looking for an experienced Data Engineer ready and excited to take on the challenge of making Upright's Net Impact Platform the #1 impact data platform globally. The Upright Platform is currently used by 200+ institutional investment organizations and corporations, mainly in Europe and North America. We are now looking for a senior professional who can help us take our data integrations to the next level to enable global scaling.
Upright’s Net Impact Platform uses data from various sources to calculate the impact of business activities on the world, so this information is at the core of everything we do. Your job will be to take the lead on designing, developing and orchestrating our data pipelines. You will work together with our data scientists and software engineers to design systems that ingest, integrate and serve information that Upright’s customers use to optimize their impact. You will also work on deploying, maintaining and monitoring these data pipelines, including the underlying infrastructure. We mainly work with unstructured and semi-structured text as well as tabular data from a large variety of public and proprietary data sources.
Depending on your interest and skills, you might additionally take an important role in cultivating high-performing data practices and culture at Upright or researching and validating sources of external data that should be integrated into Upright’s platform. You could also be working together with data scientists to productize data and to train and deploy machine learning models as well as publish and present Upright’s approaches to integrating data from different sources.
The exact role will be tailored to fit the background, experience, skill level and interests of the chosen person.
SIGNS FOR BEING A GREAT MATCH WITH THIS ROLE INCLUDE:
- Solid track record of internal passion for excellence: you have gotten things done clearly better than what was required/expected from you, as you enjoy doing things well
- Sense of urgency and drive to get the job done with tight deadlines
- Good handle on SQL and Python. Scala and other tools for data intensive programming are considered a plus.
- Experience in writing production-grade ETL pipelines, ideally on distributed systems
- Experience in data pipeline orchestration systems such as Apache Airflow
- Experience in cloud services such as AWS, GCP or Azure
- Experience MLOps, and data and ML model versioning more broadly
- Experience in DevOps, infrastructure as code and containers
- Ability to work both autonomously and as part of a team
- Ability to see the big picture and prioritize work accordingly
- Ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing
ADDITIONALLY, WE VALUE THE FOLLOWING QUALIFICATIONS:
- Understanding of optimization techniques like denormalization, caching and compression, and when to use them
- Experience working with company disclosures and financial data
- Track record in writing production quality software, e.g., in Scala or Typescript
- Familiarity with Upright’s platform tech stack (Node, TypeScript, PostgreSQL and React)
WHAT WE OFFER:
- A chance to join a quickly growing and highly ambitious impact SaaS company with a mission that matters
- A fun and kind team with exceptional people who care about what they do
- Exciting professional growth opportunities
- Competitive compensation, including stock options and a comprehensive healthcare package
MISSION THAT MATTERS
Upright is on a mission to incentivize companies to optimize their net impact by enabling science-based decision-making for investors, customers, employees, and public sector agents. To do that, Upright develops a proprietary data model based on an open-access database of 200M+ scientific articles and artificial intelligence to quantify the net impact of companies on people, planet, society, and knowledge creation. In addition to net impact, Upright produces data on UN SDG alignment, EU taxonomy, and EU SFDR PAI indicators. Currently, our impact data platform is used by 200+ institutional investors and companies, such as Nasdaq, Nordea, EQT and Nokia.
DEADLINE AND WHO TO CONTACT
Candidates are reviewed on a continuous basis and the role will be filled when the right person is found. If the post is still online, it means we haven't yet found our perfect match :)
If you have any specific questions about the role, you can contact our recruiting coordinator Sonja Rajala via email email@example.com.